Where Can I Find Interesting Term Paper Topics
Writing a paper might be really easy when you’re teacher gives you a topic they want you to write about, or lets you pick from one of a few options. But what happens when your teacher gives you the reins and tells you to pick your own topic? How do you know what to write about, what will make for a good paper? Here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind if you need to come up for a topic for your term paper.
Think of your topic like a question. Whatever the class, you should think about your subject as a question that you need to be able to answer. If you’re writing a paper on Shakespeare, you might wonder “why was Shakespeare so popular”? That could be a good topic. If you’re writing an argumentative essay, you might read through the newspaper and find an article that peaks your interest and makes you question a critical issue. This could be a great place to start, as well. Thinking of your topic like a question helps you choose a subject that you can talk about at length, and a subject that is interesting to read about. If you had the question in the first place, it’s fair to say other people have wondered the same thing!
Look for a topic that is controversial, or makes a bold statement. You don’t have to go overboard with this; you don’t want to alienate your reader by saying that puppies are evil or that murder should be legal. But, you should try to find a subject that is interesting, and has a lot of points on both sides. Whether it’s a research paper, argumentative paper, historical paper, or a narrative essay, you can find something interesting to say that will draw your reader in.
Search online for term paper topics. If you open a search engine and type in “term paper topics”, you’re sure to get a lot of results. You can narrow them down by adding the type of paper, like “literature”, “argumentative”, “analytic”, or another term to your search. The best places to find good essay topics will be websites ending in .edu or .org.
Here are a few good examples of term paper topics that will impress your instructor.
- Should late-term abortions be legal?
- Why are male infants prized above female infants in India?
- How did music affect the civil rights movement in the 60s?
- Was the Civil War the main cause for poverty in the South today?
- Are Hemingway’s short, concise sentences better writing than Faulkner’s long, wordy sentences?
- Do corporate bailouts ever help the middle or lower class?
- What did Van Gogh do in his painting that stood out from his contemporaries?
- Would Latin America be better off today if the United States had never gotten involved?
- Should prisons use electric chairs or firing squads when lethal drugs are not available?
- Why did the British Empire fall apart?